One of the themes of Pope Francis’ ministry has been a focus on those who are forgotten by the world. One group he has focused on is the elderly with the establishment of Grandparent’s Day on the 4th Sunday of July – the Sunday closest to the Feast of Sts. Joachim and Anne (the parents of Mary, the grandparents of Jesus).
Does your parish have a plan to celebrate Grandparent’s Day later this month? If not, here are some ideas:
- Coffee and Donuts after Mass where everyone can come over for fellowship and a treat!
- Blessing at the end of Mass.
- Adopt-a-Grandparent for those families who don’t live near each other. This is a great option for both the child who’s grandparent has passed or lives far away and for the older parishioner who’s grandchildren live far away.
- A week of activities where grandparents and grandchildren can come to the parish to participate in different activities like a craft morning, a play to watch, or a sweet concert.
- Flowers or Religious Medals distributed after Mass to the grandparents in attendance.
Share how you’re parish is celebrating!!