When I was a kid the Memorial Day Parade was one of my favorite summer events. I marched with my Girl Scout Troop, we got to see the marching bands in town perform, and my grandfather got to ride in a fancy car as an WWII vet. It was an exciting beginning to summer, even though we always had a week or two left of school.
As we officially enter into the summer season, I’m reminded of the many celebrations of our country and those who have ensured our freedom is safe. Memorial Day was just a few weeks ago and the 4th of July is coming up soon! What can our parishes do to remain fully Catholic and honor those who have come before us to protect our freedoms?
Here are some simple ideas:
- Sing holy, patriotic songs such as America the Beautiful or God Bless America.
- Include a special blessing for veterans at the end of Mass.
- Invite parishioners to submit the names of their close friends and family who are currently enlisted to create a prayer list.
- Ask parishioners to submit a photo from their or a family member’s past service to be placed on a special bulletin board in the gathering area.
- Add a special intention during the Prayers of the Faithful for the safety and protection of all those who are risking their lives for our country.
What does your parish do?